Friday, November 23, 2007

Utada Hikaru 宇多田ヒカルの

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I can't believe I've never heard of her until a few days ago. I was bored, so I looked up Kingdom Hearts and found the themesong for it. After downloading and listening to 'Hikari' (Simple and Clean is the English version), I fell in love with her music.

And then I looked up her bio. First thought: HOLY CRAP, SHE HAS SO MANY AWARDS! (not to mention a Tetris (on DS) monster. She's really good xD). I could ramble on about her, but you can just read her bio anywhere on the web.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Utada Hikaru kicking people's as--behinds in Tetris for DS.

Her voice control is awesome, and she knows where to breathe, and how to make it subtle. In her early songs, her higher register was a bit weak, but now, even that is legendary. She can make the high notes relaxing, unlike most singers who force it up there (Yes, I am a music geek..I take choir). She can also do phrasing, and packs a bunch of emotion behind her words. Not to mention her English is very natural.

Although Utada can't really sing rock, her ballads are all mighty. They are really soothing, and her voice is very..pure.

She also writes her own songs, which makes her even more awesome! =)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Her ULTRA BLUE album picture. The reflections in her eyes are cool. xD

Some Utada songs I recommend:

Flavor of Life - Ballad Version
This song is unmatched, in my opinion. I put the ballad version because this one is more popular, plus, I like it better than the original!

Hikari
The themesong for Kingdom Hearts (Japanese).

Simple and Clean
The themesong for Kingdom Hearts also, but it's for the English version. Surprising, this was really, really good. I think this is the only English adaption of an Asian song I like! The lyrics were good.

Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words) - 2007 Mix -
This is a cover of Frank Sinatra's song. Even though I've never heard the original, I still like this song. Utada has excellent English.

First Love (Original)
I okay with this. My friends like it, but I personally find it a bit slow.

Yes, I know, I'm an obsessive Hikki fan. =)

1 comment:

s.l. said...

(i found your blog looking for utada hikaru stuff!)

although i have not taken choir, and i'm not the best singer ever, i agree with you on the fact that the way she sings the high notes seems very natural and not forced at all. i find her phrasing to be amazing as well!

i became a hikki fan around the same time as you, and i'm already obsessive! :P